Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Surrendering Rights

I was talking with a friend the other day about surrendering rights to roomates. We talked about how Paul says in 1 Corinthians 6 that when it comes to small things, instead, "Why not rather suffer wrong?" We also talked about how when it is something more important, we must know how to make a stand for what is right. You can make up your own examples. I'm sure you know what I mean.

In my Piper devo book the other day I read "Surrendering and Demanding Rights: Two Kinds of Love" He has three sum up points and you should check out the whole thing, but the second concluding point really stood out to me:

The more personal and private a matter is, the more likely surrendering rights will be the loving way. But the more communal and public a matter is, the more likely demanding rights will be the loving way. The reason for this is that, in public, demanding rights can be seen as a way of caring for others, not just yourself; but in private a demanded right will almost surely communicate self-aggrandizement, and a failure to treasure Christ above all.

If that doesn't make sense to you, I guess you'll have to read the whole article. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home