Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

Last month I re-read one of the top 3 books I have ever read: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala. The book is the story of how God worked in the Brooklyn Tabernacle to take it from a dying church of 30 people to a thriving church of 10,000 that has planted many other churches as well. The way God did this was by calling Jim Cymbala to call the church to...pray.

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

“One day I told the Lord that I would rather die than merely tread water throughout my career in the ministry…always preaching about the power of the Word and the Spirit, but never seeing it. I abhorred the thought of just having more church services. I hungered for God to break through in our lives and ministry.” – pg 23

“Early in the service I said, “Brothers and sisters, I really feel that I’ve heard from God about the future of our church…. It’s not fancy or profound or spectacular. But I want to say with all the seriousness I can muster: From this day on, the prayer meeting will be the barometer of our church. What happens on Tuesday night will be the gauge by which we will judge success or failure because that will be the measure by which God blesses us.”
“If we call on the Lord, he has promised in his Word to answer, to bring the unsaved to himself, to pour out his Spirit among us. If we don’t call upon the Lord, he has promised nothing – nothing at all.” – pg 27

“I knew that a lot of churches gave lip service to the idea that God can do anything. But we needed to have real faith that anyone who walked in could become a trophy of God’s grace.” – pg 33

“By the time we grew to 150 or 175 on Sunday morning, the prayer meeting was up to 100.” – pg 34

“The honest truth is that I have seen God do more in people’s lives during ten minutes of real prayer than in ten of my sermons.” – pg 71

“Only turning God’s house into a house of fervent prayer will reverse the power of evil so evident in the world today.” – pg 83

“David’s weaponry was ridiculous: a sling and five stones. It didn’t matter. God still uses foolish tools in the hands of weak people to build his kingdom. Back by prayer and his power, we can accomplish the unthinkable.” – pg 98

“The same people who want sixty-minute worship services rent two-hour videos and watch NBA and NFL games that run even longer. The issue is not length, but appetite. Why the misplaced desire?” – pg 133

“God will manifest himself in direct proportion to our passion for him. The principle he laid down long ago is still true: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jer 29:13). Oh God, split the heavens and come down! Manifest yourself somehow. Do what only you can do.” – pg 153

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristi Smith said...

That looks like a cool book Mark. I'll have to read it sometime. Do you know if dad owns it? Anyways hope you are having fun in Sudbury - I'm praying for you.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger Cass said...

Hey Mark,

I just found your site tonight, I hope you dont mind me stopping by. I love Jim Cymbalas book, its a great book of faith and realizing who is really God. Although sometimes, we're so thickheaded He has to teach us the same thing over again.
Thanks for highlighting all those quotes, you highlighted some of my faves!

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home