Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Battle Cry

As some of you know, I went to "Battle Cry" this weekend in Detroit. I had never been to any Acquire The Fire events before, but had heard enough about them that I thought I would be in for a really great time, and I thought that I might question the content/benefit of the speaking/the conference. I'll comment on both things.

First, I was absolutely right about the great time! It was awesome. The Cross Movement was incredible, Toby Mac was quite possibly the best concert I've ever been to, and the atmosphere was always fun. All the other bands and the speakers and messages were really entertaining too. The time in the motel with the guys was awesome fun as well.

Second, I was pretty wrong about the content of the speakers/conference as a whole. Ron Luce's messages really were good stuff. I liked how he talked about things like how we have a whole generation of passive "Christians" right now because they have all "accepted Jesus" - which amounts to a passive act that does not actually change life. He emphasized how Jesus did not call people to accept Him but rather to follow Him - and following amounts to more than a passive consent because it necessarily is an active thing. I did not think that the emotions of the Youth were played on during the Altar Call. Of course, the natural emotion and everything that comes from...40,000?...teens being in one building no doubt amounted to people going forward who really should not have, but I bet there were some genuine conversions too. I don't know just where I stand with the whole concept of Altar Calls, but my tenative opinion right now is that given the circumstances at an event like that, there is nothing wrong with presenting kids with the chance to come forward. Ron's next message about being branded for Christ instead of being unknowingly branded by our sin-sick culture was also really good stuff. Generally speaking, I thought all the messages were good. Not flawless, but still very good. Of course, I do not know what the eternal benefit of the conference will prove to be in the lives of many who were there, but there was a good emphasis on how it is not enough for the teens to get all excited for a weekend and then go back and live the same way - there must be change and discipleship. So if the teens were listening, there will be some benefit from this conference for sure. I went in somewhat skeptical, but was very pleased with the conference content. The guys I was with that had been to ATF in the past also said that this one was better content than ever before.

So it was good stuff...sure I could find some things to complain about if I wanted to, but there were so many positives that I'm not going to spend time highlighting the few things that I didn't think were great.

So....it was a great weekend!! :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, I was reading the intro to you at the top of the page where you give multiple 'favourite' verses. Come on. 'Favourite'? More than one? The word implies one object has a higher value than all others and yet you have the audacity to say that favourite can be plural?!! What is this, the beginning of some communist ideal where all are equally the best which is the same as making none the best (watch The Incredibles). Next you'll be dropping out of seminary (like Stalin), joining a well meaning political group (like Stalin), and then assuming leadership only to eliminate all criticizers. And I'll be the one to pull down your statues. Have a nice day. Mark G.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Mark D. Smith said...

hahahahahaha

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home