Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dating

Jack and Grace met through a mutual friend. From day one they seemed to be the perfect match. Grace was everything Jack had always wanted. She was beautiful, outgoing, caring - always there when Jack needed her.

For the first five months they were inseparable. Jack could hardly think of anything but Grace. He didn't need to look further, he told friends, "She's the one."

Now almost three years have passed. Jack still enjoys the comfort and familiarity of being with Grace, but the spark is gone. Grace's flaws seem more obvious. He's not sure he finds her as attractive as he once did. And he's beginning to resent all the time she wants to spend with him.

One night, when she asks if they can define the nature of their relationship, Jack blows up. "We're together aren't we?" he asks angrily. "Why isn't that enough for you?"

Obviously, Jack isn't ready for commitment. And it's unclear if he ever will be....

Have you ever been in a relationship like this? I'm writing this because I believe God has something better for you. He wants you in a relationships defined by both passion and commitment. But before you can take hold of this wonderful plan, you need to know something about this couple. There are millions of Jacks walking around today. And Grace isn't a girl.

Grace is a church.

- Intro from "Stop Dating The Church!" by Joshua Harris

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Asylum said...

That was a great quote! I'd be interested in reading that book when you're all through with it :D

Monday, February 05, 2007 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mark D. Smith said...

You certainly could read it - in fact I'm almost done because it weighs in at only 129 small pages.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Asylum said...

Sweet, I have about 4 books ahead of it - then I'm ALL over it!

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home