Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Top 50 Books.

No, I'm not about to list my top 50 books. That would be interesting though...lol

I want to draw your attention to this article in Christianity Today: The Top 50 Books That Have Shaped Evangelicals. Very interesting. The #1 book is ridiculous because hardly anyone on the blogs I read have even heard of it. But many of the other books are interesting to look at. By no means are they the BEST books - just the ones that have influenced evangelicals the most.

I would be interested to know which ones on the list those of you who read my blog have read and found noticeably influential in your own life?

I think I have read 10 books on the list (a couple of those 10 I just skimmed in the library but did not really read properly) and the ones that stick out as having really influenced me are Desiring God by John Piper and This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti. Celebration of Disciple has influenced me a fair bit too, but not as much as Piper and Peretti. I don't necessarily complete agree with everything in Peretti's book but it sure has influenced me.

(HT Justin Taylor)

4 Comments:

Blogger Julian Freeman said...

lol, I must be a lousy evangelical... I haven't read a single one of those books... shame on me.

Monday, October 09, 2006 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mark D. Smith said...

You're kidding? You haven't even read Desiring God?

But don't worry - as you know, most of the BEST books out there did not make that list. Keep reading what you are reading. (And mix in a little Mark Driscoll here and there too! :p)

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

I don't know how you could keep liking Driscoll after this huge blow-up between him and Piper at the conference. Quite a falling out I hear. Apparently they hate each other now. Suicide bombers from Bethlehem are expected to be headed out to all Acts 29 churches within the month. Driscoll is now officially a 'mark'ed man.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mark D. Smith said...

hahahahahahaha

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home