Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Wesley and Spurgeon

Reading through Jim Cymbala's book, Fresh Faith, this interesting paragraph stood out to me:

"I love what the great John Wesley, catalyst of the Methodist awakening, said in the 1700's: 'Would to God that all party names, and unscriptural phrases and forms which have divided the Christian world, were forgot.... I should rejoice...if the very name [Methodist] might never be mentioned more, but be buried in eternal oblivion.' A century later, the equally great Charles Spurgeon, prince of Baptist preachers, said from the pulpit, 'I say of the Baptist name, let it perish, but let Christ's name last for ever. I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living.'" - Jim Cymbala, Fresh Faith, 1999, 70.

Now, of course, names and terms are helpful to explain positions, etc. (For example, the term "Calvinist" is helpful in describing that theological position...it's much easier to say "I'm a 5-point Calvinist" than it is to say "I believe in the sovereignty of God over all things including salvation and I believe that once you are truly saved you cannot lose your salvation and I believe that Christ's death definitely secured the salvation of the elect, etc, etc." ) But I do not want to be known as a "Baptist" or as a "Piperite" or as a "Calvinist" or anything else like that. Plus, none of those categories totally fit my personal exact views anyways, so when real discussion begins, the helpful terms aren't so helpful anymore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home