Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Above All Earthly Powers

Some reflections on the Desiring God National Conference...

It was awesome.

The best messages in my opinion were the ones by Tim Keller and John Piper, but they were all great messages. And the speaker interviews were awesome too.

All the online audio can be found here for free.

During Piper's fantasic message he asked himself, "What Would Mark Driscoll Do?" and made us all laugh and also made his point clear and memorable. You can listen to the excerpt right here - I like listening to it because I can pretty much hear myself laughing since I was in the middle of the front row of Convention Center for this message! (Which was pretty cool - I did not expect to get that seat considering there were 3,100 people there!)

As for post-conference internet blog talk, of interest is this post by Mark Driscoll that includes a couple of emails that he and John Piper exchanged after the conferece.


One of the other awesome things about the conference was the discounted books in the HUGE bookstore. I bought 4 and recieved 3 for free.

The books I bought were:

With One Voice: Singleness, Dating, and Marriage to the Glory of God by Alex Chediak

Pleasures Forevermore by Sam Storms

One Thing: Developing a Passion for the Beauty of God by Sam Storms

Convergence: Spiritual Journeys of a Charismatic Calvinist by Sam Storms


The books I got for free are:

Stop Dating the Church by Joshua Harris

Above All Earthly Pow'rs: Christ in a Postmodern World by David Wells

No Place for Truth or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology? by David Wells


As time goes on I will hopefully post the best quotes out of all those books. So far I have only read the first one and I highly highly recommend it. It is the best "relationship book" I have ever read. Yes, even better than Boy Meets Girl! lol

The conference was fantastic. The atmosphere of worship was heavenly. I had very little voice because of my cold but I will never forget singing We Will Dance right before the final message by John Piper. Powerful. The drive there and back was great fun with Pastor Jack and Deedee and Ynze and Joe. Lots of fun and fellowship and listening to good music and Piper sermons.

Personal highlights (in no particular order) were:

Hearing D.A. Carson emotionally cry as he answered the question during the speaker interviews of how he would encourage Pastors of smaller churches. You can read the transcript of that here.

Piper's message. Powerful and emotional....listen to it online.

Meeting John Piper and Mark Driscoll and shaking their hands and thanking them for their ministries. They were both very nice guys who took time to talk for a couple minutes.

Listening to Tim Keller's lecture. Wow.

Having fun with Ryan and Joe and with Jack and Deedee.

Listening to the speaker interview with John Piper and Mark Driscoll and Timothy Keller - they we so personal and funny and meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home