Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Pleasures Evermore

I'm reading the book right now called Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storms. I first heard of it from Desiring God's Recommended Books and bought it at the Desiring God National Conference a month ago.

It is awesome.

Here are a couple quotes so far that I have highlighted extra clearly:

"We say Yes to sin because we believe its promise of more pleasure than God gives. This leads me to the simple conclusion that the only way for us to successfully resist sin is by maximizing our pleasure in God." - page 27

"Simply put, pleasure is the measure of our treasure." - page 39.

"You will never devote yourself to understanding God and one day say: "Well, that's all there is." No. There's always more! But neither will you ever say: "Well, that's enough." Why? Because God satisfies in a way that always creates a deeper dissatisfaction.
"When you drink water to quench your thirst, there comes a point when water ceases to be appealing to you. Although you were desperately thirsty, there comes a point when you say "Enough!" There comes a point where you couldn't take anymore; you're filled; you're satiated. It would actually be painful to take more. You're on the verge of regurgitating. All of us revel in the physical joy of satisfying our hunger with food. But once full, food loses its appeal....
"But God is the only being in the universe who, when received, when spiritually ingested, has the infinite capacity both to fill and to satisfy without leading you to say, "Stop! Enough!"...God enjoys bringing us virtually to the point of saturation where we think we've seen it all heard it all, tasted it all, felt it all. Yet, precisely when we say, "Enough's enough; it's time to move on to something new and fresh and more exciting," He shows us something never before seen, something unexpected, a fresh taste, a new sound, something about Him yet more glorious and thrilling than we could ever have imagined." - pg 56-57

That last quote reminds me of the great Steven Curtis Chapman song, "Only Getting Started":

I was just a little kid when
I heard about you for the first time
And all I really, really knew for sure
Is you were God I wanted to know you
And now the years have come and gone
I’m still singing that same song
You might think by now I would have reached the end
But the truth is

I am only just beginning
I am only getting
Started to know you now
I’m only getting started
And when I start thinking I’m getting
Close to the end, you just smile at me and say
Hey kid, you ain’t seen nothing yet
I’m only getting started
I’m only getting started now

Now your love it is an ocean
Deeper than my deepest notion
Your grace it is the sky above
It just keeps going forever
And with every new sunrise
You come and open up my eyes
And show me just a little more of you
And again I see that


I am only just beginning
I am only getting
Started to know you now
I’m only getting started
And when I start thinking I’m getting
Close to the end, you just smile at me and say
Hey kid, you ain’t seen nothing yet
I’m only getting started

I am only just beginning
I am only getting
Started to know you now
I’m only getting started
And when I start thinking I’m getting
Close to the end, you just smile at me and say
Hey kid, you ain’t seen nothing yet
I’m only getting started
I’m only getting started now

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Starting to know you now
Getting started
And when I start thinking I’m getting
Close to the end, you just smile at me and say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home