Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The 23rd Channel

My last post reminded me of this poem:

THE 23rd CHANNEL (Author Unknown)

The TV set is my shepherd. My spiritual growth shall want.
It makes me to sit down and do nothing for His name's sake
because it requireth all of my spare time.
It keepeth me from doing my duty as a Christian
because it presenteth so many good shows that I must see.
It restoreth my knowledge of the things of the world,
and keepeth me from the study of God's word.
It leadeth me in the paths of failing to attend the evening worship services
and doing nothing in the kingdom of God.
Yea, though I live to be 100,
I shall keep on viewing television as long as it will work.
For it is my closest companion.
Its sound and its picture, they comfort me.
It presenteth entertainment before me,
and keepeth me from doing important things with my family.
It fills my head with ideas, which differ from those set forth in the Word of God.
Surely, no good things will come of my life
because my television offereth me no good time to do the will of God.
Thus I will dwell crownless in the house of the Lord forever.

And of this poem:

The 23rd Channel (Author Unknown)


THE TV is my shepherd I shall not want,
It makes me lie down on the sofa,
It leads me away from the scriptures,
It damages my soul.

It leads me in the path of sex and
violence for the sponsor's sake,
Yea, though I walk in the shadow of
my Christian responsibilities, there will be
no interruption for the TV is with me,
It's cable and remote control,
they comfort me,
It prepares a commercial before me in
the presence of my worldliness.

It anoints my head with humanism,
my coveting runneth over,
Surely laziness and ignorance shall
follow me all the days of my life,
And, I shall dwell in my house
watching TV forever, Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet Perry said...

Wow. I found that really interesting... Thanks for sharing it, Mark!

Friday, October 20, 2006 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Janet Perry said...

Hey... you know there's a way you can change your settings and get rid of that word verification thing eh? haha jk Just being lazy.... Now I'll go do it again so I can publish this :S

Friday, October 20, 2006 8:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home