Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Getting Into Poetry

I think John Piper said in "God's Passion For His Glory" that the first time he was inspired to write a poem was after reading Jonathan Edwards' The Nature of True Virtue. Well, I have been similarly inspired. Inspired by a couple of ladies who may not be the greatest theologian America ever produced but are very special in their own right. These ladies, of course, are Margaret Bibby and Alyssa Piazza. Reading their blog poems have inspired me to blog my own poem about my struggle between childhood innocence and adult negativity.

"He feel it, she feel, we feel, ah, here we go...."


--

The Boy Vs. The Cynic, Chapter one, page one.
I'll start from the top...
I’ll embrace dreams again when I can breath again
And at that point I won’t be needing them
It became clear to me that I was fighting a war I couldn’t win
You don’t make it on your own merit
Only royalty inherits the kingdom
And that’s a system good intentions can’t help
Your courage is not good here so don’t try to excel
What a sad day when you realize nothing can change
The revolution didn’t leave you it never came
There will be no parades, no royal balls
Just long days topped off with last calls for alcohol
Go to sleep wake up and repeat the same routine
Smooth skin dressed with wrinkles and brown eyes
With dark rings and entertainers sing of extremes that don’t exist for you or me
When real life is reality TV no wonder our youth don’t believe in anything
It’s all a joke there are no heroes just those of us with high hopes
It’s just not that simple
I’m not trying to save it all I just want to create a ripple
And even if one individual is affected it’s monumental with an unusual perspective
That’s beautiful in essence traditional thinking won’t suggest this
Is life really that precious well yes it is
But there will be no celebrations or congratulations
No pat on the back just your mind intact
And the freedom to feel your heart beat at the speed of life
Go to sleep tonight knowing you did it right
And rest easy outside of a system that resents you for not doing what they expect you to do
Psychologically wear you down and then they make the suggestion that you get on a prescription to deal with your depression
Anxious lazy temperamental obese
That’s what money makers like to call a disease
And they’ll be looking for or creating new problems with profitable solutions
To solve them but you won’t get any better you’ll just come back for more
Until your medicine drawer is filled with unreliable cures
And that’s the way of the beast
And I can’t do nothing about it
I could shout it in a room that’s crowded but I doubt it’d make a difference
So ignorance will be my disguise cause 21st century America likes its witchcraft civilized
21st century America likes its witchcraft civilized


hahahaha...okay, if you read that whole thing, you've probably guessed that I didn't really write it. Just copied and pasted it from John Reuben's latest album. Yes, I am unabashedly a John Reuben fan. Check him out. He's phat. If I were a rapper, I'd prolly be like him. Yo. :p

3 Comments:

Blogger Janet Perry said...

You're officially a geek! I mean, I know I've called you a geek many times before... but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I made it official.... haha

Monday, July 10, 2006 3:05:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Sutherland said...

I think geeks used to bite the heads off chickens at the county fair. Thats what a geek is.

poetry of humor.
used another artists work
Mark needs a new life.

A Haiku on mark's blog....

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

man, I was gonna say that sounded like rap and it was pretty sweet... until I found out you ripped it off JR's album. I have no patience for plagiarism!!!! I won't be checking back here again. Just kidding. Haha don't worry my sis listens to him too. lol

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home