Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

More Thoughts on "Should I Dress Up For Church?"


It's not that I don't like dressing up. I do like dressing up (except not on hot summer days! lol) for church and I'm used to it. But as a youth pastor, I'm well aware that most youth do not like dressing up. If I was a senior pastor ministering primarily to adults (some of who still do like to dress up) I might have different feelings. But what if my tie becomes a stumbling block to a teenager who comes to church for the first time? What if he never comes back because he thinks the youth pastor is old fashioned or something? Come on, God is more sovereign than that, right? Well, I believe in the sovereignty of God more strongly than most people seem to, but I also believe that we gotta become all things to all men that by all means we might save some!

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet Perry said...

Mark, I have to say... all this talk about fashion is really not like you! Did someone break into your account? Mark? Is that you?

Saturday, July 08, 2006 4:53:00 PM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

I'll tell you one thing youth can't stand: Adults who try to be like them. Don't try to be 'hip' if you're not (I'm not saying that you're not, but I know that I'm not...). They'll see through it and think you're nothing but a pretender. And then your attempt to 'be all things' so that some might be saved will have the opposite effect you had hoped for.

Just be yourself, Mark. You've got a ton to offer those kids (and the rest of the church!).

Preach the word. Who cares about clothes...

Monday, July 10, 2006 9:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home