Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Battling Unbelief...

The last couple days I have listened to a couple great Piper sermons from the 80's in the "Battling Unbelief..." series. I highly recommend them. I listened to the ones on Covetousness and Lust, and I want to go back and listen to some others as well...hopefully all of them eventually. He is so good...what a preacher...what incredible thoughts and incredible presentation. You can tell that he has spent a long long time in assiduous meditation on the text because he sees so much in it. I'm pretty stoked for him to get back from his sabbatical so I can get to hear not only his old stuff, but also the new sermons that he will come out with each week.

Find the audio of the "Battling Unbelief..." series and a ton of other great stuff that isn't all on his website here.


A couple unrelated powerful Piper quotes:

"So we must not water down the call to suffer. We must not domesticate all the New Testament teaching on affliction and persecution just because our lives are so smooth. It may be that we have not chosen to live in all the radical ways of love that God wants us to." - from Let the Nations Be Glad

"The greatest enemy of hunger for God is not poison but apple pie. It is not the banquet of the wicked that dulls our appetite for heaven, but endless nibbling at the table of the world. It is not the X-rated video, but the prime-time dribble of triviality we drink in every night...For when these replace an appetite for God himself, the idolatry is scarcely recognizable, and almost incurable." - from A Hunger for God

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home