Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Friday, January 02, 2009

The Lowest Sunday in Many Years

I thought Mark Driscoll's blog (which you can read all of here) was very good. He explains that they had the lowest attendance in many years because of the snow and some lessons he learned.

1. We learn who sees Mars Hill as a calling and who sees it as a job.

Those who see it as a job are the first to call in and cancel their duties, not show up, dog it, or leave early. Those who see their service at Mars Hill as a calling go beyond the call of duty to cover for everyone else.....

2. We learn about our own heart.

If we are depressed, complaining, or secretly wishing we could be home there is something wrong with us. Days like today are opportunities for us to love our volunteers, pour extra appreciation on those who come, and make sure that we do not neglect those who join us. Charles Spurgeon once said that when you pay attention to the seat that is empty, you are paying a disservice to the one that is filled.....

3. We learn about the deep love some people have for our church.

............
Even if there are 80 instead of 1300 in a service, if they are 80 people who want to love and worship Jesus and are willing to do whatever it takes to get to church then those people are the hardcore of the hardcore and from what I heard they out sang crowds ten times their size because they were determined to fill the room with worship to Jesus.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott P said...

Mark,

I googled images for Men's Exercise and found the cartoon used on one of your posts. I copied it on crcwednesday.blogspot.com for an men's exercise group starting at my church in January.

Thanks, Scott

Sunday, January 04, 2009 9:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home