Great Expectations

My name is Mark Smith. I'm a guy who loves Jesus, His Word, and His Church. I am filled with Great Expectations for what the future will ultimately bring - Matthew 24:14.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

My favourite verse is Psalm 16:11, my other favourite verse is Acts 20:24, my other favourite verse is Habakkuk 3:17-19, and my other favourite verse is Matthew 24:14.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Gospel For Asia Visit

I stopped in at the Gospel For Asia Canadian office this weekend in Stoney Creek. It was really great to see the place and meet some of the Canadian staff and talk about their ministry with Faye Leytham, whom I talked to through email before and who met me and showed me around. The building is a beautiful building that used to belong to the Salvation Army. There are about a dozen offices for the dozen or so people who work fulltime with Gospel For Asia as the Canadian representatives. These staff members serve as a vital link between the thousands of Canadians and the Asian army of missionaries that those Canadians sponsor in Nepal, Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar, and other South East Asian countries. It was great to see what everyone does each day and to hear about the great focus and priority that praying together (for at least an hour every morning) is.

Another awesome part of the visit was to see that all throughout the building, in every hallway and room, are pictures of the Gospel For Asia missionaries praying/talking/baptizing people. Very moving pictures.

The book room was a highlight too. Faye showed me the book shelf of books that they get new staff members of Gospel For Asia to read when they come on staff. There were many incredible books there. Some that jumped out at me were "The Church is Bigger Than You Think" by Patrick Johnstone which I really hope to read someday soon (and which I think has a cool title! lol), "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis, and two copies of the great "Let the Nations Be Glad!" by John Piper. There were probably over 50 other books as well which I'm sure were awesome books that I would love to get ahold of someday.

Gospel For Asia really excites me so much! It was so cool to see their Canadian office. Someday I could see myself working there because I love the ministry so much and believe in it so strongly. In the meantime though, I will continue to be a part of that ministry unofficially by praying and sponsoring, and doing what I can to introduce my friends to it. I would love to introduce you all to the great book, "Revolution in World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan, so if you don't have it then let me know and I will give you a copy, or you can order it for free online anytime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home